The profession of chiropractic medicine as a form of health care dates back to 1895. But some of the earliest healers in history knew the importance of the condition of the spine in health. Hippocrates said, "Get knowledge of the spine, for this is the requisite for many diseases."
A contemporary of Hippocrates, Herodotus, became famous for curing diseases by correcting spinal abnormalities through beneficial exercises. If the patient couldn't do the exercises, Herodotus would manimpulate the spine. Aristotle said, "he made old men young and thus prolonged their lives too greatly."
Dr. Daniel David Palmer is credited with being the founder of chiropractic because he discovered the specific spinal adjustment. He developed the philosopy which forms the foundation of the profession. I am eternally grateful to Dr. Palmer because the 15 years I spent getting adjustments were some of the most pain-free of my life. How do tell a non-believer that it is as simple as that. I was in extreme pain and then I never was again. It works. Believe chiropractors are charlatans if you wish.
We're talking here about the benefits of chiropractic medicine so I just had to say that it worked for me. Not only was I pain-free, but I believe I enjoyed better health because of my spinal adjustments keeping me alignment. I felt balanced.
My posture also improved and I felt great. I slept better. I believe I had less stress and tension.
Other benefits include:
* prevents many health problems
* relieves many symptoms
* slows the aging process (my yoga instructor told me long ago that a flexible
healthy spine keeps the body young)
* offers instant relief from pain without needles or drugs
* improves spinal structure
* counteracts gravity's effects
* promotes better sleep
* provides more energy
* improves overall health
* makes you feel great
* improves immunity
* restores normal nerve supply
* corrects the cause rather than just treating the symptoms
* improves athletic performance
* restores normal mobility
* gives relief from headaches
* greater flexibility
* helps recovery from trauma
* provides mental clarity
* gives emotional calm
* increases muscle strength
* lowers blood pressure
* improves balance
A study was conducted in Sweden in the late 90's and was reported in the "The Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics". A group of interviewers questioned consecutive patients that had just received treatment from 87 Swedish chiropractors. The patients were given a questionnaire asking if they had experienced any improved non-musculoskeletal symptoms after their adjustment. A total of 1504 responses were gathered and analyzed. The results were remarkable.
Out of 1504 patients, 21-25 percent of them reported at least one non-musculoskeletal benefit after their adjustment. Twenty-Six percent had a pulmonary improvement--it was easier to breathe. Twenty-five percent had a gastrointestinal benefit. Fourteen percent realized a visual improvement. Fourteen percent felt they had gained cardio/circulation improvement.
The doctors say they see this all the time in their patients and contribute it to the removal of muscle tension and/or nerve interference in the spine.
No comments:
Post a Comment