You taught me to live in jealousy's abyss
I had never before known such pain and insanity
There I learned to mistrust even your sweetest kiss
As just another notch on your belt of vanity.
You sincerely believed you had a gift that you must share.
With any lonely woman who was in need of good sex.
You felt you had so much passion that you had it to spare.
And I spent my lonely nights wondering who would be next.
Would it be a woman from work who wanted you this time?
Or maybe a waitress at the coffee shop you went to each day.
A pitiable misfit who was obviously past her prime?
Or some hitchhiker who struck you as a worthy stray?
You explained over and over that I was the one you wanted.
The one you would love and the others just didn't matter.
I still loved you even though your words made me feel taunted.
You had a repetitive speech you trotted out, a nightly patter.
I would try to believe you for a little while if I could.
Then another strange stray cat would come knocking
I'd open the door and some brazen woman stood.
Asking for you, not knowing it was my love she was mocking.
One night when you were supposed to be out with the boys
I saw you dancing with one of them at a club.
I couldn't handle it. I'd run clean out of poise.
I hauled off and kicked you in the butt in that pub.
Finally you left me no broken-hearted choice but to end it.
I thought of all the pain I had been through now for naught.
It seemed I'd gone down so very far to now only quit.
But the betrayal and mistrust I lived with was all that you brought.
No comments:
Post a Comment